We often get asked what is double incontinence so we wanted to share what this is and to offer help if you are suffering from this condition.
Double incontinence (sometimes called combined incontinence) is when both faecal incontinence occurs with urinary incontinence i.e. where a person is unable to control their ability to wee and poo. This means that faeces and urine may leak from their body without their control or knowledge.
This condition is widely under-reported due to social stigma and embarrassment. Double incontinence is the most severe and debilitating manifestation of pelvic floor dysfunction. Those who suffer from both faecal incontinence and urinary incontinence have significantly greater impairment in their physical and psychosocial well-being than those suffering from isolated urinary or faecal incontinence. Double incontinence often causes twice as much embarrassment, having a greater impact on an individual’s everyday life in comparison to other forms of incontinence.
Causes of double incontinence:
- Connective tissue disease – the presence of crossed reflexes between the bladder, urethra and pelvic floor can be a cause of double incontinence.
- Increased body mass, sedentary lifestyle, depression, and diabetes are also often associated with increased risk of double incontinence.
Treatment for double incontinence:
- Pelvic floor muscle training is a well-established therapy in the management of double incontinence – see one of our previous blogs on how to do pelvic floor exercises.
- Electrical stimulation – effectively improves muscle function by transforming fatigable fast twitch muscle fibres to slow twitch fibres – visit your doctor for more support
- Controlling your body weight and preventing obesity.
If you are suffering from double incontinence then we would recommend using a disposable incontinence product with a high absorbency to manage both wee and poo. In particular we would recommend either:
- disposable large shaped incontinence pads
- disposable incontinence pull up pants or
- disposable incontinence all in one briefs/nappies
Do take a look at our full range of incontinence products online and if you have any queries you can contact us for confidential help on 0800 068 3625.
Incontinence UK Team